History of Macular Pigment & MZ
The macula lutea (yellow spot), now known as macular pigment, was first identified more than two centuries ago.
In 1866, it was hypothesized that this yellow pigment may protect against damaging visible light, and its function was further discussed in a series of studies in the early 20th century. In 1945, a researcher (Wald) discovered that macular pigment belonged to a family of carotenoids found in green leaves. However, it was not until as recent as 1985 that the researchers Bone and Landrum first proposed that the pigment was composed of the carotenoids, L and Z, and later identified MZ as being the third carotenoid present in the central retina.
Macular pigment is located at the macula, the central part of the retina responsible for optimal spatial vision.
Imagery courtesy of Professor Max Snodderly and Dr. John Nolan.